Conan O’Brien Breaks Silence on Rob Reiner’s Murder, Following Alleged Clash at His Home
Conan O'Brien has spoken out for the first time following the deaths of his friend, filmmaker Rob Reiner, and his wife, Michele Reiner.
Rob and Michele died on December 14 last year, both from multiple stab wounds. Their son, Nick Reiner, was subsequently arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder. The investigation is still ongoing.
After news of the couple's deaths emerged, it was reported that Rob and Michele attended O’Brien’s Christmas party with Nick the night before their bodies were discovered at their Los Angeles home. A TMZ report claimed that Rob and Nick got into a “very loud argument” at the party, and other attendees overheard the fight. It should be stated, however, that these details remain speculative, and the case has not been taken to trial yet.
“It’s just so awful,” O’Brien said regarding the murders, in an interview with The New Yorker, which was published on Friday, February 20. “And I think about how Rob felt about things that are happening in the country, how involved he was, how much he put himself out there — and to have that voice go quiet in an instant is still hard for me to comprehend.”
In the interview, the comedian also confirmed he had seen the couple the night before their deaths.
"I knew Rob and Michele, and then increasingly got closer and closer to them, and I was seeing them a lot. My wife and I were seeing them a lot, and they were so—they were just such lovely people," Conan said.
"And to have that experience of saying good night to somebody and having them leave and then find out the next day that they’re gone...I think I was in shock for quite a while afterward. I mean, there’s no other word for it."
Nick Reiner is expected to enter a plea during arraignment, expected on Monday, February 23.

