Double Headliner In Montreal October 30
There will be two main events at the Casino de Montréal on October 30. WBA super-welterweight world champion Mary Spencer will face American two-division world champion and pound-for-pound great Mikaela Mayer in one of the most significant women’s boxing matches ever held in Canada. Then, in a high-stakes local clash with two titles on the line, young sensation Wilkens Mathieu will take on Quebec warrior Shakeel Phinn in a highly anticipated super-middleweight clash.
“Last year, Mikaela Mayer headlined at Madison Square Garden. This fall, she’ll be here at the Casino de Montréal. That proves Quebec boxing belongs in the big leagues — and that Mary Spencer doesn’t back down from adversity. Her world title is on the line that night, and I have no doubt she’s ready to go to war to keep it,” said Eye of the Tiger president Camille Estephan.
“Never in a thousand years did I think I’d get the chance to fight Mikaela Mayer. I’ve followed her career a lot, and as a fan, I love her style — but what excites me most is that our styles mesh so well that this will be a truly memorable fight. Saying I’m excited is an understatement, and I hope the fans are too, because this will be epic,” promised world champion Mary Spencer.
A Canadian Olympian at the London Games and a three-time amateur world champion, Montreal-based Mary Spencer (10-2, 6 KOs) has developed into a top-level pro. Last September, she won the WBA super-welterweight world title against Germany’s Naomi Mannes. This past April, she successfully defended it by dominating former two-time world champion Ogleidis Suarez over 10 rounds, despite a serious hand injury. Now fully recovered, Spencer is more determined than ever to win her third straight world title fight.
Across the ring, Mikaela Mayer (21-2, 5 KOs), will be in the unusual position of challenger. An Olympian at the Rio Games, the Top Rank-promoted native of Los Angeles has held the WBO, IBF, and The Ring super featherweight titles. She later moved up to lightweight, capturing the interim WBC title, and in September 2024, won the WBO welterweight world title at The Theater at Madison Square Garden with a hard-fought majority decision over Sandy Ryan. She defended that belt in March, topping Ryan by unanimous decision in their rematch.
“I couldn’t get the undisputed fight with Lauren Price, so rather than take an easy touch, I looked for the next best challenge,” Mikaela Mayer said. “Beating Mary Spencer at 154 pounds will make me a three-division world champion, and although I may be on the smaller side, I have the necessary skills and experience. I’ll dethrone Mary and then head back down to welterweight to challenge Price. I will be stronger, sharper, and better than ever.”
While the Spencer vs. Mayer bout features two established champions, the Wilkens Mathieu (14-0, 10 KOs) vs. Shakeel Phinn (27-3-2, 17 KOs) clash will feature two fighters with something to prove.
“This is clearly the biggest test of my career — but that doesn’t mean I’ll be tested,” said a confident Wilkens Mathieu, a rising EOTTM star and Ring Magazine ambassador. “People always say boxing is about levels, and on September 30, I’m going to show everyone — including Shakeel Phinn — that he’s not on mine.”
“People think this will be a tough fight, but for Wilkens it’ll look easy. Expect a highlight-reel KO on October 30,” added his trainer, Montreal’s Giuseppe Moffa. Mathieu will fight for the NABF and WBC Continental Americas super-middleweight titles.
But being the underdog has never intimidated Shakeel Phinn. In May 2024, “The Jamaican Juggernaut” stepped into the ring at the Casino de Montréal against another undefeated EOTTM fighter, Erik Bazinyan. Despite being a heavy 8-to-1 underdog, Phinn shocked everyone by fighting to a draw — a result he believes should have gone in his favor. Determined not to leave anything to the judges this time, Phinn returns to the Casino with a clear mission.
Also on the October 30 card, three other champions will be in action. Top-10 super-lightweight contender Arthur Biyarslanov (19-0, 16 KOs) will make his fourth NABF title defense. Top-15 light heavyweight contender Mehmet Unal (13-0, 11 KOs) will defend his WBC Continental title for the first time, and top-20 welterweight contender Christopher Guerrero (15-0, 9 KOs) will make his second defense of the WBC Continental title. Fan favorite Thomas Chabot (11-0, 8 KOs) will also return to action, while rising junior amateur world champion Erik Israyelyan (2-0, 2 KOs) will look to keep his flawless record intact.
The post Double Headliner In Montreal October 30 appeared first on fightnews.com.