CBS Declines to Reverse David Del Rio's 'Matlock' Firing After Conclusion of Reopened Investigation
CBS will not reverse the network's decision to fire David Del Rio from Matlock. The decision is the result of a reopened investigation into allegations the actor sexually assaulted co star Leah Lewis.
TMZ reported Thursday that Del Rio presented new evidence he believed disputed claims made by Lewis.
Del Rio played lawyer Billy Martinez on the series before he was written off the show during production of its second season. No criminal charges have been filed in connection with the allegations.
The second season of Matlock debuted on the network in October 2025. The show took a break following the allegations and returned in February 2026 with a brand new character. Del Rio's final episode on show aired in December 2025 and viewers found out his girlfriend Claudia (played by Bella Ortiz) had a miscarriage.
Series creator Jennie Snyder Urman told Variety ahead of time that it was important to the team that Del Rio's exit make sense for his character. "It is really in line with the character and in line with what’s happening with the firm at large," she said. "We want to remain true to the character."
Snyder Urman also previously told Deadline that newcomer Hunter is not meant to replace Del Rio's Billy. "We’re always bringing in new associates, new people, because we want to give our characters different energies to react to, and different obstacles to overcome," she explained. "And one thing that we were talking about in the writers’ room that we’ve been wanting to bring in is a bro. Like, a real bro."
David Del Rio Was Removed From 'Matlock' Set in October
Del Rio was removed from the set of Matlock on October 2, 2025. Lewis shared a photo of herself and her mother in her Instagram Stories the same day and wrote, "Mom is here, we're moving forward in love and strength. I'm in good hands."
“Thank you to everybody for any kind of support and care. Truly, we're moving forward in strength. Key word, strength,” she added. “Please, let that be the takeaway.”
The investigation into Lewis' allegations was reopened in December, and the network reportedly interviews more people to further understand what did or did not happen. CBS declined to make an official statement to multiple outlets, but The Blast reported that the show's executive producer Eric Christian Olsen was the person who fired Del Rio.
The actor took a social media break after the allegations were raised and has not posted on Instagram since late September 2025.
David Del Rio Has Been Married Since 2018
Del Rio has been married to his wife Katherine since 2018. The pair got engaged in 2017 and share two children, daughters Lily and Coco.
Per People, Katherine is also an actress and a chef, and she and David founded the production company Theatre Row Productions together. In 2019 she was hired to work as a personal chef for the Jonas Brothers and she's also catered various music festivals and events.
In March 2017 Katherine told Inside Edition she saw David for the first time when he performed in a Broadway production of In The Heights.
Related: Leah Lewis Makes 1st Comment After David Del Rio 'Firing' Reports

